Thursday, March 02, 2006

Email

Tonight I received an email from my old boss. She was forwarding me a salesy email she had received and asked me why the name of the sender was familiar. This was odd on some many levels because:

a) The person sending her the email is someone who used to work with us at our old business years ago
b) The person is also someone I am doing freelance work for now
c) The person is also someone I have not heard from in a suspiciously long while and sending this salesy email is something I was contracted to do

d)Also, my new working relationship with this person is something I emailed my old boss about a few months ago
e) I also emailed my old boss on Monday night to prep her as I used her as a reference and I never heard from her.

Well, I wrote her back with all of the above and weirdly enough I discovered that for a really long time I have been using the wrong email addy for her. A "." instead of a "_" One of those. That is so odd because somewhere along the way this address got messed up. It used to be correct and now it's not. And she has no idea what I have been doing for 12+ months. She has no idea that I invited her to a big reunion. No idea about the gossip I shared with her...

I really hate servers that don't bounce back emails, I don't get that. I can only assume that this is hotmail's fault.

Anyway, I really need an excellent rec from her and she will give me one because I'm sure she still feels guilty about driving her company into the ground a few years back and putting my life on this detour.

I have an odd relationship with her. We are friends sorta now, but the whole subordinate thing still happens. I have to listen to her ad nauseum talk about her awful awful little boy. Plus, there is a part of her that does not see the incredible growth I had in the 5 years I worked with her. She still thinks of me as a little green and I think she could have worked much harder to help me land a new job over the years. We were all very stressed out in those days, but she more than most. We had one of those sick love/hate relationships. She needed me so badly and lived in fear that I would quit yet never told me she valued me. I remember one really truly horrible voice mail she left me. She was the kind of person who always believed other people's version of events before she even spoke with you and got your side.

I remember that voice mail because I played it for the head of HR and said something like "this is what I have to put up with." I really think that my talking to HR set in motion the events that would eventually destroy the entire office. Oh well.

Why are most workplaces so ridiculous? Why does so little work get done? Why do stupid people get promoted? Why are politics so rampant?

Ah, all of this almost makes me hope I don't get that new job. But that's bullshit, I really want it all again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home