Tuesday, February 14, 2006

4th Interview

Yes, folks, #4 was today. Four. How absurd.

Anyway, I was so off today. I think seeing that creepy email really unnerved me. Plus, the woman I was to meet with called me last night and I perceived that she was hostile. Last night I was tense and had 3 Black Russians and did not sleep well. I woke up feeling icky and then saw that creepy email and felt nauseous.

I got through my horrible work meeting. It was so boring. The director of the office always says "I'll make this short" and then does everything but. Plus, I work with a bunch of people who think they are interesting and ask too many questions and tell too many stories. Half the group is like that person in your class who just never "got it" and asked questions for far too long. The other half jockeys to impress the director. And we all suffer for it. Or, at least I suffer. Alone. I feel like such a fraud at that place.

The whole thing just makes me feel dangerously superior and elitist. But they make be crazy. The director is such a loser. Once, the CEO (another awful human being) was speaking to us and I watched the director positively twitching out of nervousness. I saw him get a bottle of water to hand to her, then he quickly took it back, stared at it for a moment, then unscrewed the top and handed it to her.

Uh, I think she can unscrew her own water bottle. She probably would prefer an unopened one as well.

I have never seen someone so concerned with appearances as this guy. And I understand because he must feel like a fraud.

For instance, he knows precious little about marketing yet speaks as if he does.

Case in point-

-Thinks that "branding" is synonymous with tag lines, logos and colors. Totally does not understand the concept of a brand having emotional resonance.

-Say "Add-On value" instead of "Added value."

-Today was the best. The company recently had a (minor) name change. He said "But call it whatever you want." Uh, OK. I'm sure the Chief Marketing Officer who just spent gazillions of dollars on focus groups, message development and advertising would love to hear that.

Anyway, I was off my game. Then, right before I left, "I" called to chew the fat. Why is it that so many people I know with mid-level finance jobs make $160,000 a year and have all this free time to bullshit on the phone? Makes me crazy

Well, I went to #4 and I will not get too into it (superstitious) but it went very well and apparently there is just one more interview to get through...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home