Tuesday, March 07, 2006

My Vent Covers


Register

Of the dozens of DIY projects I have embarked upon, the seemingly easiest and smallest jobs have been the hardest:

1) Installing a doorbell
2) Installing a mortise lock in the bathroom
3) Installing interior curtains on the glass doors of built-in China cabinets.

All of the above had unexpected/unforeseen issues which made them difficult.

And now, changing my vent covers. When I moved here I discovered many different style of vent cover, some very old some very new. Some had louvers, some did not. Some louvers were attached to the wall, some were loose.

I finally decided to change them all as none were really salvageable. It has been horrible. They are all different sizes and many places do not sell them and if they do the pre-fab sizes are wrong. I worked with a custom-guy for a while but did not really care for the end-result.

Finally, a store I like began carrying some and I ordered them. I ordered three as a test run.

So far, so bad. Stream of consciousness issues: Broken mortar, screws too long, screws hit metal, nothing to screw into, spackle vs. plaster of paris, touch-up paint job, drill bit size, hole too small for louvers, cover has lip, and on and on.

And this has all been for one, the easy one.

Old houses are a labor of love. When I get through this I start on the bathroom. Then will be Spring and outdoor time and maybe, just maybe, I'll get to the great closet overhaul by Summer...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home