Thursday, February 23, 2006

Iraq

Iraq is freaking me out tonight. The footage on television reminds me of Vietnam when our troops pulled out or Cuba right before Fidel.

If I was an American journalist there right now, I would want to up and leave. It's just getting too hot.

You know, in the very beginning I supported the war. And not because of WMD. I never believed that shit.

I supported the war because I looked back at history, far back. Dominant civilizations aren't dominant forever. We're all so used to the US being the world's only superpower but it does not mean it will last forever. So I thought overthrowing Iraq would be a good way to get a really nifty foothold in the Middle East because geography is what it's all about. It's always been what it's all about.

Did I know we would botch it up so much? Disband the Iraqi army? Take forever to get essential services up and running? Allow Anti-American sentiment to fester and grow? Water and feed a generation of new terrorists?

No, but I'm not supposed to. The morons in charge are supposed to.

So here we are three years later and if I'm on Fox News Sunday and Brit Hume asks me in his ultra-condescending tone: "Bart, Bart. Are you saying you would prefer Saddam Hussein was still in power?" I would say "Yes. He may have tortured his own people but at least Iraq was not a galvanizing event for the entire Muslim community." We should have left it alone. What a fucking mess.

1 Comments:

Blogger mickeyitaliano said...

I hope their is a Civil War in Iraq. Remember when two kids would argue and some stupid adult would be like, 'let them work it out...' Well, I hope we (US) are the stupid adult here because we've also been the drunk uncle of sorts, by getting into this MIASMA in the first place.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home