Friday, February 24, 2006

Pseudonyms and Diane

Going forward, I have decided to use pseudonyms for first names instead of initials. Initials are just too distracting. I was re-reading some post about my friend "N" and it was making me crazy. I kept wishing I had just written "Nora" or "Nan" instead.

So, without fanfare, let me complain about "Diane." I have known her for almost 18 years and she is without a doubt the most impossible person to get together with. Her schedule is so packed plus there is no one in the world she would rather be with than her husband so her life is dictated by his.

Anyway, the last time I saw her she stopped by my old apartment at 8AM on a Tuesday morning to make us eggs. I kid you not. She said something to me beforehand like "Oh, that's one of my things. I go to my friends' places and make them breakfast."

Suffice to say this was the first time I had heard about this in 18 years. Diane is a tad touched, one might say.

Well, I hate people in my kitchen using my Mauviel and the like but I succumbed to her wishes. It was a nice time, but brief (90 minutes) early and weird.

Anyway, we have been trading voice mails since I bought the house. I really want her to see it. (Email is impossible with her--I think she checks every two weeks.) The last VM she left me she said something about getting together somewhere central (midtown.) I was so annoyed. It's all about her seeing my house. So I left her a VM saying something like "I would really like to have you here to see the most significant achievement of my life, my house, yadayada." Even dense Diane would have to get that.

So, we finally spoke and the bottom line is that she can come over, but only on a Tuesday or a Friday. And days, mind you, not nights. I was so aggravated I told her I would check my schedule and get back to her.

She is a perfect example of someone so set in her ways she is inert. It makes me crazy. But I still love Diane. She's a lot older and gets the best pot I've ever had in my life. But Dude frowns upon my smoking grass. He thinks it would be like smoking cigarettes which I quit three years ago. But it's not like Marlboros at all. Whatever. I just want Diane to see this damned house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home