Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Interview #5

Alright, it's official: I can't take it anymore.

Yesterday's interview went very well. I wrote the person a thank you email and she wrote back this really positive reply. Then, another person there left a message on my cel and said that yet another person based out of another office would be calling me Wednesday or Thursday to "talk about a couple of things."

I do not like phone interviews. I do much better in person.

Well, this person called me at 11 this morning and immediately started with me. He completely put me on the defensive and was very agressive and challenged everything I was saying.

All I could really to was remain calm, push back and clarify. From things I have gleaned I get the feeling that this guy needs to be part of the process politically and that he has some ideas and wished regarding this position that were not really taken into account. He seems like he has a chip on his shoulder.

One thing that got me really mad was when he was challenging me because my business closed in 2002. I had already explained about client's tightening their budgets and one round of layoffs. But he kept trying to assign blame to me somehow. Finally I just said "There was a dot-com bust. A lot of companies went out of business. This was purely an economic decision and the numbers worked out better to close the office than to move to smaller quarters. I had an offer to work in the central office but I declined. I am still friendly with the CEO and he would be happy to explain it to you if you like." He declined the offer.

What's wrong with these people? Where was he when thousands of businesses went under?

He also annoyed me when he said something like "I'm just trying to understand whether or not you are serious about working here."

I said, very flatly, "This is my 5th interview, I'm not doing this for fun." He actually chuckled a bit.

So, I got off the phone feeling really shitty and then feeling shittier for feeling shitty.

Part of me feels like I blew it and part of me feels like this guy was just screwing with me and his opinion does not matter all that much, I mean I would rarely report to him.

But most of all I'm mad. I'm mad that I have to jump through hoops, I'm mad that I dislike my current job, I'm mad that this process is so slow.

I do suspect, though, that if I don't get an offer by the end of the week, that's it. And I'll tell you, if I don't get an offer they are fools because I am so perfect for this position.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home