Friday, February 17, 2006

Taking the "A" out of "AA"

Today someone posted something on a message board about seeing someone famous-ish at an "AA" meeting. That's all. No details or anything. But I just had a knee-jerk reaction and I thought that was wrong and posted something to that effect. So, that person responded and said that this famous-ish person was vocal about her AA meetings so therefore it was OK to mention it.

I'm not convinced. Is it OK? Somehow, I think it's OK for the person to talk about him or herself, but not OK for someone else to talk about it. And when I read the post I just had a mental image of this famous-ish person at a meeting and I felt icky, like I was violating her privacy.

Am I wrong, am I being too technical? One thing about me is that I will listen to an argument and change my opinion, I'm not rigid.

There are so many paparazzi and gossip columnists out there and as far as I can tell none of them are hanging outside the doors of AA (and other) meetings waiting for a celebrity to enter or leave. Even a celebrity who is public about his or her recovery. I have actually never seen a photograph of that sort so I must assume that, happily, there is some unwritten rule.

So, I guess I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on this. I suppose there are 3 possible answers:

1) No problem at all talking about seeing someone famous at an AA meeting if that person is public about going to AA meetings.

2) No matter what the famous person has said about recovery, it is never cool to mention seeing that famous person at an AA meeting as all meetings are sacred and whoever is there and whatever goes on there is anonymous.

3) It's a little tacky, but no harm done.

Tell me what you think.

1 Comments:

Blogger mickeyitaliano said...

Hey Bart;
You've come to the right person on this one.
One of the main "rules" of EVERY AA meeting is respecting EVERYONES ANINIMITY. <--- it's hysterical hearing people newly sober trying to say that one.
Aninimity and the fact that AA charges no dues or fees are big 'givens' by everyone.
Whoever 'outed' this druggie/drunk needs to check their own self, I predict this loser will be pissing the bed in a drunken blackout or probably selling blow jobs to any skeezer with 20 bucks if they are a crackhead.
Mickey

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home