Monday, March 20, 2006

Gym Theft

Back in September, the locker at the gym I had belonged to for 6 years was broken into and some of the contents were stolen:

1) My jeans (my levis from 1984--having those stolen hurt, especially since they prolly ended up in a trash can.)

2) My cel phone (that sucked because I had to go through the hell of a replacement phone with no replacement phone insurance--I basically kept them on the phone until they knocked the price down to $199 (from $299) and gave me a $50 credit.

3) Keys for my old place and my new place, which I had not yet moved into yet.

4) A really nice key chain which had major sentimental value.

I knew this gym well and felt so comfortable there and although I knew that shit happened a lot, I was shocked it happened to me.

What made it worse was that it was the manager's 3rd day (gyms go through managers faster than Tara Reid can give sloppy blow-jobs to Jersey Shore boys)and all she could do was lament what was happening to her. To her.

What made it even worse than that (again) was that it was the 3rd robbery of the day. Wouldn't this dim wit have thought to warn people or at least post someone in the locker room after the second one?

Well, it was a bad day and I was doing renovations on my house and packing up my old place and getting ready to move and really stressed and I had to file a police report plus I had no pants. She gave me a pair of tiny tight shorts to wear home and I felt like a perv and looked like Peter Berlin.

Well, I knew the district manager because I had actually worked with her in another life and I started harassing her about "what are you going to do for me?"

I also was pretty damn sure who the culprit was which was another story.

She finally consented to give me 6 months free membership and I was actually pleased and surprised because I figured they would do nothing.

Well, I just got my bill and I was charged on March 1 for March which means I was comped for 3 months only.

I knew something was up. Sure enough, I called and she (the district manager) is gone. Goodbye.

Well, today I left a message for the new manager of the club and we'll see what happens...I want my 3 months.

Gyms are all about getting people to join but pay absolutley no attention to member retention. I worked in fitness for a while and it is an awful industry which is so sad because it attracts people who are very passionate about it which is a good start. But most fitness companies have very poor management and pay terribly and can never compete with schools or other institutions for good talent. One day I'll post more about that because I am an expert in gym culture, behind and in front of the curtains.

1 Comments:

Blogger mickeyitaliano said...

Dear Bart;
First off, the Peter Berlin reference in the tight shorts was funny as fuck.
Usually when I write a post, I log on, write it, and then visit my other fav. sites and stuff.
While I was writing, I came across a sentance in my mind that needed a metaphor about predictibility. For some reason Tara Reid popped into my head...Tara Reid at a frat party, Tara Reid at strip club; but nothing clicked...And thank God because it could never compare to "Tara Reid giving sloppy blowjobs to Jersey Boys..."

http://thecoolstore.blogspot.com

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home