Saturday, March 11, 2006

More Job BS

I was all happy and shit Thursday night because I figured I was out of the danger zone with this job and that since the guy was giving me a start date I more or less had the job. I even went so far as to think about how I would leave my current job and I actually got out a calculator and figured out my weekly take home. I had not yet done this because I am superstitious.

Well, Friday in New York was warm and lovely and I was in a good mood so I walked up to the paint store and bought all my paint. I figured I had better do my bathroom this weekend since I have a room full of cabinets and hardware. I was going to head out to the gym at around 1:30.

Then, at 1:00 my contact called me and he was all nice and stuff but my heart sank because he wants me to call this woman in HR because there "must be some kind of mix up with one of my references and something with my education" and I "need to call her and clear it up." Basically, my resume is mostly true but certain dates have been changed to tell a clearer story, just like my education. No one needs to know I went to four undergraduate schools. Except, apparently, this human resources cunt. There’s a photo of her on the web site. She looks like she’s about 80.

I don’t get this. My brother works for a government agency. He was fully background checked going back to grade school. This is, quite frankly, some dumb sales & marketing firm. I hate HR people. They have nothing to do so they try to look for cracks in the armor? Meanwhile, I met with 3 VPs and the CEO and they all want me.

I’m not getting this job. I’m going to call this witch and and then I’m sure I’ll talk to my contact and say something to the effect of “It’s your call, I’m clearly made for this job” and leave it up to him. But I’m not going to get this job. They’re all a little buttoned-up and inert and odd and I can see my changing some dates being perceived as some kind of major integrity flaw.

This job reminds me of a house I loved and wanted to buy two years ago. There were so many problems. I saw the house several times. There were issues with the house’s title and liens. There was a court order suppressing the sale until the ownership was cleared up. It went on for 8 months. I kept saying if anyone can navigate this it will be me. This house will be mine. It eventually cost me a friendship because my friend’s boyfriend was acting as my attorney at the time and this was way over his head and we both got really made at each other and said nasty things. The kind of things you can’t take back like what Tony and Carmela Soprano said to each other. Part of the desperation was that there were literally no other houses I liked and house I did not like kept going up and the mortgage rate was fluctuating.

Finally, I found the house I am in now. But even then I still had feelings about the other house. I am finally over them. And, incidentally, the house is still unsold.

So, I think while this job sounds great and I can construct a fantasy around it and it will validate me to myself, it quite possibly is not the place for me. I already think that any job that spends over two weeks checking references is ridiculous.

But I was very upset and still am. I let it derail my day yesterday. I could not take it anymore so I got into bed until 4PM. Then I drank red wine all night.

But I was up at 7. The bathroom beckons. I went to the gym and did chest and shoulders since I missed Friday.

On my way home, this guy called me and he so wanted me to come over and fuck him. I met him online a few weeks ago and in a moment of weakness I gave him my number. He called and left messages twice. He sounds too too gay on the phone. Fuck you all. You know what I mean: “Hi Bart! It’s James. Remember?? Anyway, I was just thinking of you and-.” You get the picture.

Well, today I picked up and I said what’s up and he said something about being in bed waking up. Ew. I hate anyone first thing in the morning. But still, I got a hard on. But the bathroom called. Maybe I’ll see him some time. Only I’m afraid he’s going to be super-clingy. Why can’t a trick be a trick? Now I remember. This was the guy who I met on a hookup site but then he wanted to go to dinner and movie with me.

So, I emptied and took down all the cabinets. Took down all the hardware and stripped the room bare. Scraped and spackled. Primed. Painted the ceiling. Painted the wall. Painted the decorative plaster on the bottom part of the wall. Painted the molding. Then did it again. I’m damned tired.

Tomorrow I hang all the cabinets and install the hardware. Then clean up. I’m tired already. I think I’ll have some wine…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home