Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Lots of Women

I now work in an office with about 35-40 employees. I hadn't realized this until we had a group meeting, but I am one of 6 men (and 3 of them are the CEO and his 2 Lieutenants.)

I have no problem with that. There's never anyone in the men's room and it's always really clean. It's a bit hot though. Women always complain that offices are cold and never seem to realize that it may have something to do with that sleeveless top and short skirt.

Anyway, I am now going through that thing I go to at every job where everyone wonders about my sex life, as in do I like girls or boys. Nobody really has probed all that much yet, though. Maybe it's because I am too new, maybe it's because I actually have a position of authority, I don't know.

The gay thing is so weird at work. It's not a protected class so hypothetically you can get fired for it. I really dig employers that do Domestic Partner benefits and write in stuff like that. This is not one of those companies. I think that's just because they are a little cheap.

I like it so far, which is good. It's important to like or at least tolerate where you spend 50 hours a week. My biggest concern right now is that I don't know if any of these people are smart yet. I've had some really good ideas and I can't tell if the tepid reaction has been because of a) general malaise b) politics (meaning they need approval first before they can like something) or c) they don't get it/it's over their heads. I hope it's not #3. I have been lucky enough to work for some really smart people and besides learning from them they also recognize and value good ideas.

We'll see how it goes, it is only week 2.

I'm so tired and my muscles hurt. I need to get in bed so I can wake up at 5AM again. I'm so boring now. I was much more interesting when I was chewing Vicos 2 months ago. But I'm happier now. Sort of.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happy for you Bart and hope it works out.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Glynn said...

Good luck. I hope things go your way with this new job.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Bart said...

Thanks, my big problem in life is that I get bored easily so we'll see...

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home