Saturday, September 23, 2006

Andy Warhol

I've been savoring the Andy Warhol doc on PBS.. Partially because there is never anything to watch. Movies just suck. I turn off 99% of the movies I turn on now afyer 20 minutes. I used to get so excited at "Fall Preview" sections because so many sounded so good. Now, I know better. The latest was Black Dahlia. I used to love De Palma. What the fuck happened? I do not even remember the last time I saw a movie in the theatre. I seriously think it was 2003.

Anyway. Andy. Love Andy. Love the rags to riches, love the influence on culture, love the influence on me.

I used to look at Page 6 photos of Andy, Bianca et al partying when I was 10 years old and I wanted to be there. I read Edie cover to cover when it first came out and that book got in my head deep. I lonoged for an era that had already ended, it was gone forever but its whiff still lingered.

Anyway, I am loving it. They have some good commentary, too. A curator did a pretty good job of explaining why he was such a successful commercial artist in the 50s:

His blotting process, or his process of making a drawing look printed was very appealing to art directors (who hired him for ads) because something that was printed implied that it was desired enough by the masses to be subject to a mass printing. In other words, we are influenced and want what others want and what we perceive that others find popular. So he took that thought and made drawings for ads that looked mass produced.

Loving it and we have not even gotten to the 60s yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home