Monday, November 06, 2006

Fan Letter

When you are addictive, like me, you tend to do everything a little too much. Hence I could never buy 1 book, must buy 7. Could never buy one sweater, must buy 5. Because I appreciate all the colors, because they all look good on me, because I have such good taste---it's an ego-fest.

Anyway, the consequence of such actions is a lot of unread books and unworn clothes. Typically, they get purged every decade or so, but once in a while something pleasant happens:

1) Today I wore a John Smedley merino wool striped mock turtleneck that I bought at Barneys in----drumroll----1988. Yes. It's actually shocking that I bought something that tasteful back then because I had money and I had bad 80s taste. I still remember the acid green fucking phosphorescent blazer I was wearing to Palladium in 1985 and inexplicably Sally Randall let me in...

Anyway. Barneys. Smedley, Focus. It was too tight, too itchy, too clingy. I would put it on before going out and then yank it off.

But alas, I held onto it the way one holds onto things that were very expensive (I still have hope for these two incredible Versace knit shirts circa '88 that are a miracle of engineering--come to think of it, I bet they are worth a bundle since Gianni was offed) in the hopes that one day will see ROI.

Well, that day came. I put it on. It felt good. (I am no longer skeeved by wool --same with peach skin--no problem anymore.) Better yet it looked good. Nice and fitted across the chest but not West Hollywood fitted. Horizontal stripes, too. I looked like a fucking linebacker. So, I wore it to work and made the girlies swoon.

2) Now, the books. Different story. More of an investment of time. (Remember, I am going to die soon so I have begun to measure my activities in terms of their value --- would I rather be reading a so-so book, trolling the Internet for fresh ass or watching TV on Vico? The world is no longer a blank canvas...) I will often read 20 - 30 pages and then toss it down in disgust. Maybe write a scathing Amazon review if I'm feeling vindictive.

So, I looked through my library (yes, I have a library. A whole room just for books. Eat your heart out) the other night and came upon a title. I remember buying it 10 years ago, being less than pleased at the dearth of sex scenes, and calling it quits. But alas, I began to read it. It held my attention. It is called "Secret Life" by Michael Ryan and is a memoir written BITD when the market was not flooded with such tomes. It is about his molestation and sexual addiction and he is a very good writer and very humorous. I love that he spends an enormous amount of time writing about the so very awkward years of 10-15. I can so relate. Being a bit pudgy and very young but very horny and smart and just craving to be older. Ryan writes about the absurdity of himself at that age. Whatever. It touched me. So I wrote him a note and told him so. The kind of note I would like to get should I ever publish a book, simple: "Just wanted to thank you. I loved the book." Nothing creepy.

And would you believe he wrote back? Props to him. One good turn deserves another. I hope I made him happy. I don't need Oprah's (Uh, Bank America's) money to do something nice for someone. I do it every day.

1 Comments:

Blogger mickeyitaliano said...

Yeah; (head hung low){read my apology at you know where}.
I started seriously reading in 82' ish, but I did not come into my own being until the late 80's (not the Limelight, but 'The Underground' on Tuesday's-Love Machine). there were no B and Noble's then. Collosium Books near the 'Russian Tea Room' where I worked was where I planted my ass every break. I came upon "The Mysteries of Pittsburgh." It was from a little press. I bought it and afer reading it, I bought about 7 copies and passed them to all my friends. I wanted to write (Chabon) so bad, to tell him this. I think you wrote the most concise letter an author needs to read.
Regarding Oprah; "The Corrections" by Jonathon Franzen, was the talk of the town when Franzen felt Op's peeps were making too much of a publicity stunt from his book she was to recommend on her book club; (via the snipets he had to film). Bravo Franzen for pulling out.( I bought a "Corrections" hard cover in Fla. for a buck w/ Oprie's seal on it!) And although, I was 1/2 way through the book @ the time and hoped a zillion people could be basking in the delight I was feeling; I just love this guys integrity.
When I was on the plane moving to Los Angeles, i had this new K.Haring journal. The first word I wrote was integrity.
PS: Thankx for sticking up for me to that writer Michael (3 posts or so ago)...I could give 2 shits about his cockamamie viewpoints; I was just saying that I love this guy.(I did mean you...whew. what a dick)
Sorry Bart;I'm such a dick some times, and I chastise myself about my dickie actions all the time.
All the Best (sincerely),
Lacking Lexipro

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home