Friday, March 24, 2006

Damn

I'm not going to turn into one of these people who never posts, I swear, it's just been an insane week.

Anyway, I had a thought on the subway today. Our nation has evolved to a level of such success that people are now concerned primarily with their comfort, their appearance and how others perceive them.

It's embarassing. We are so successful and really have so few worries as a country that this is what it comes down to. We have the luxury of caring primarily about those things. Maybe it's human nature, I don't know, it's just sad that more people aren't concerned with the health and welfare of others less fortunate, either domestically or abroad. I don't mean to get all Mother Teresa because I certainly do little more than be a conscientious walker (meaning I get out of the way for old people and shit like that) and try to not take up too much room on the subway, but hell, I think that is probably more than a lot of people do.

I am so sick of people being so boring and predictable, too. Today I made the mortal error of walking into Whole Foods Union Square at 12:45. I went to grab my same Turkey Bacon sandwich I always get and then saw "The Line." It was frightening. It reminded me of the line to see Jaws in 1975. I put my sandwich down and left.

That is so stupid. What is wrong with these people? I remember when the WF opened in Chelsea in 2001 it was a Godsend. I would shop there once a week from way downtown and take the subway home laden with bags. Then, at some point in 2003 I saw some cel phone yakkin Ugg boot wearin chick in Whole Foods just taking up space-"I'm in Whole Foods! What? Where are you? What?"

I knew it was over. Time to leave. This girl at work told me she was in Trader Joe's Saturday and there was a line outside to get in. She went back Sunday and the cupboards were bare. She said it looked like Barney's Warehouse Sale back in the day. Actually, that was my metaphor,I said that, this girl is a new transplant from SoCal, she don't know 'bout Barney's Warehouse Sale BITD when it was cash only and you could get some phat shit. I remember one year when I was a fashion slut I spent about $600 there and added up the retail value in my apartment and it was $10,000. True confession: I worked there, so I also got an employee discount, that's why it was so cheap. That place was fun for a while and a gay boy's paradise. I remember this one salesguy used to give customers bjs in the fitting rooms.

Anyway, back to the food stores. These people need to get a life. I know my friend Mickey has a lot to say about the customers at Whole Foods, Citarella, Grace's, Zabar's, Balducci's, etc. I'll leave it to him.

I feel very post-post, been there, done that. I wish people would recognize how ridiculous their behavior is while still doing it. I mean I spent a solid year after 9/11 doing nothing but exercising and shopping. I was really shallow but I knew it was really shallow and ridiculous. I recognized that. It was OK that I was being shallow because I recognized it. Too many people don't recognize it or try to spin it. Case in point: My friend Katie wrote me this really long email about how she was leaving work and she was going to spend more time with her kids and she found a great gym and she was keeping her "babysitter" (I love that euphemism--call a spade a spade, it's a Nanny.)

So I wrote back and said something like:

You're leaving your job to spend more time with your kids but you're keeping your Nanny and plan on spening a lot of time at the gym. Face it sis, you're a trophy wife!

She has not written back yet.

Anyway, that's my rant. This week has been crazy and tomorrow is more of the same plus I pick up my nephew at Penn Station. Should be fun. Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home