Saturday, April 29, 2006

Virginia is for Lovers

OK, so it is was my 4th week at work and they already sent me to the DC area for three nights this week to pitch and meet etc. I guess I should be flattered and I am. I like where I am. It is going very well but I have exercised an enormous amount of restraint. What I mean is, I am doing nearly everything in my department. Not doing everything as in running myself ragged, but doing everything as in doing all the thinking. We have these out of control brainstorming meetings where little gets accomplished and then I go and write the whole thing alone. It is a little scary because I feel as if I am in a vacuum. In other words, if it's all my work and it gets rejected by the client, then I am the only one to blame. However, no one seems to realize it is all my work.

Case in point: I had 5 ideas that I came up with by myself in my home. A few weeks later when this woman I work with looked at it she said something like "Oh good, you used some of my ideas." And I really believe she thinks that. And I let her think that. Because I am getting lots of kudos as it is and it really isn't going to do me any good to portray myself as the guy who has every fucking idea. So you see? My predicament is that I need more collaboration.

I was at a pitch this week. My boss was there. I knew what the prospect was asking and I responded to it. My boss did not know what the prospect was asking but thought he did and responded differently: quandary, do I respond the right way or the wrong way (and show a unified front?) I chose to go somewhere down the middle.

Anyway, VA was a big bore and a lot of work. I rotted at the airport for 4.5 hours yesterday while they changed a wheel on the plane (!) Very encouraging. The plane was so small I actually had to lean over as I walked to my seat. It was very "People's Express" circa 1985.

But I am home and today I spent some quality time in my garden. I put up this new fence so I don't have to look at my neighbors sitting on their disgusting rotting deck furniture.

I also have a nasy sore throat.

Oh, I have a new gym obsession guy. This one is from my before work gym. He checks me out a lot, which of course I like. He's short, which I like, has that cool kinda reddish-brownish Connicky hair, which I like. He's very strong but he's a little soft in the middle which is fine. I don't know what my deal is these days. I'm either into punky brown haired 19 year olds or men in their 40s with mild beer guts. I'm so over perfection. It is so tedious. Read a book. I used to be at the gym 3 hours a day. It is funny to think about now. Anyway, my new guy--he looks very good in a towel. We'll see what develops.

1 Comments:

Blogger mickeyitaliano said...

You would be beating yourself up more if one of your nitwit co-workers had a good idea that you did not think of and it got all these accolades.
Also, since we are both the same age, I'm going to generalize here and say our tastes in potential hot bedmates (steamroom mates) has gotten better. Less perfection and more aesthetically (sp) pleasing to the person we have become.

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home