Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Yes, I'm all

Boring now. I am aware of that. I know I was much more fun when I was not a productive member of society and could go on for hours about my memories of the Farah Fawcett poster and the like.

I am regrouping mentally, I think. The last 5 years have been such chaos and so emotionally and financially unstable for me that I am craving structure. And if that means hard work and a paycheck, so be it.

I have been at my job for just over a month. A lot of things have happened but most significantly I wrote a complex proposal for and RFP in an industry I know nothing about. We were then invited to pitch and I developed a presentation from scratch in three days. My two bosses were both traveling that week and had little input. I practiced my ass off and flew to VA to present.

Monday we got the call that we got the business. I was extremely happy.

I know that I am about 85% responsible for getting the business.

Today my boss recapped with me and he asked me how I thought "we all did." His one comment to me about the whole process?

That I said "You guys" in the beginning of the presentation instead of you. You know, it was "OK with them because they were casual and we had rapport but it might not be in the future."

You guys.

This is what he tells me.

I deliver a complex proposition eloqently and charismatically --for a company I just started in and an industry I had no experience in--and get the business and all he can do is say I shouldn't say you guys.

But this is what I wanted I suppose.

Anyway, I'm going to be OK about all this this time around. Just do my job and think of myself.

2 Comments:

Blogger mickeyitaliano said...

This is your boss? Saying..."You Guys" Just goes to show how the corporate world is now on par with the 'regular' world.
I would have loved to say; "Well, you guys, consists of me..." but that might bite you in the ass in the future.
Bart, take pride in what you are doing. Remember the Corporate Phrase and one I'm sure you interjected when you were hired; "Team Player".

http://thecoolstore.blogspot.com

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bart, hey, just wanted to stop in and say hello. I just finished another semester of Grad school and am looking forward to the summer off. I do have to get a part time job, but I think I'll live. I miss seeing post from you, but I'm really glad you're doing well and enjoying the job.

Take care,
Michael

1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home